Thematic files

January 2015

Health and Insecurity in France

Today, 8.5 million people are living below the poverty line in France. Insecurity and disease continue to gain ground. Overwhelmed by the difficulties of their daily lives, more and more women, men and children give up searching for the healthcare they still need. For thousands of them, this quest is an insurmountable obstacle race. Faced with this unacceptable conclusion and determined to work together to find solutions to improve the situation, the Sanofi Espoir Foundation brought together its most committed partners in France - the French Red Cross, Médecins du Monde, Paris Samusocial and Solipam, which supports pregnant women and their babies up to 3 months old in dire need of help.

   

April 2014

Fighting against maternal and neonatal mortality

The Sanofi Espoir Foundation supports in-the-field programs to ensure better access to healthcare for every mother and newborn child, with the aim of fighting more effectively against maternal and neonatal mortality.

Twelve programs are currently underway: eight in Africa, three in Asia and one in Latin America involving many local and international partners: healthcare players, international organizations, local NGOs, corporate foundations and Ministries of Health.

   

December 2013

Micro Health Insurance

Despite progress in recent years, weak health systems in some countries make access to basic healthcare extremely difficult for the poorest communities, and prevent them from escaping from the poverty trap. For these particularly vulnerable populations, disease is a huge risk, almost always resulting in financial distress due to medical expenses and the loss of daily wages. In very fragile or non-existent healthcare and health insurance systems, nearly all of the household income is likely to be swallowed up when someone in the family falls ill

   

May 2013

Fighting against childhood cancer in low-resource countries

Read the file: Fighting against childhood cancer in low-resource countries

Each year, over 175,000 children have to struggle with cancer and 90,000 of them die from it. To improve survival in developing countries, we have developed an ambitious program entitled ‘My Child Matters’
Often known as a rich-country disease, cancer in fact kills more people in developing countries. Yet another injustice is that a child diagnosed in a developed country has an 80% chance of surviving for five years, while the rate in countries with limited resources is on average 20% and this can fall to 10% in the least developed countries. Yet the five most common forms of cancer in children are those for which there are effective treatments. On the basis of this data, the Sanofi Espoir Foundation decided to forge an unprecedented alliance with the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to attempt to overcome these disparities.

   

October 2012

Partnerships at the heart of the fight against neglected tropical diseases

Read the file: Partnerships at the heart of the fight against neglected tropical diseases

Lest we forget: a large-scale awareness-raising strategy
These infectious diseases found in hot, humid climates affect a billion people around the world, but they have long been neglected by researchers and funders. In recent years, however, the international community has been mobilizing to fight against these disorders that prevent the world’s deprived populations from escaping from poverty due to their terrible consequences. For Professor Alice Dautry, this unprecedented effort has already led to significant progress…

 
Read the interview of Alice Dautry

Interview : Alice Dautry
Managing Director of the Institut Pasteur, member of the Sanofi Espoir Foundation board of Directors

   

July 2012

Stand up for African mothers - International campaign against maternal mortality

Read the file : Stand up for African mothers - International campaign against maternal mortality

In Africa, a woman is 110 times more likely to die in childbirth than in Europe. This is a tragedy for families and a serious handicap for the development of African countries. To fight against this injustice, the Sanofi Espoir Foundation has partnered the Stand Up for African Mothers campaign that aims to train 15,000 midwives by 2015 and reduce maternal mortality by 25%…

 
Read the portrait of Esther Madudu

Portrait : Esther Madudu
Ugandan midwife, Candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize 2015

The Stand Up for African Mothers campaign supports the candidacy of Esther Madudu, an African midwife, as representative of everyone who struggles daily to save mothers’ lives.

   

January 2012

Fighting maternal and infant mortality: a critical issue for development and the fight against poverty

Read the file: Fighting maternal and infant mortality: a critical issue for development and the fight against poverty

More than 360,000 pregnant women die every year due to complications during childbirth, and 99% of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries. It is estimated that in 2010 one child in every 22 died before reaching its first birthday, a total of 6.2 million children worldwide before. Most of these child deaths occurred in developing countries, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa (46% of these deaths) though it is home to only 16% of the world’s population…